SMA-Female to BNC-Female (Baofeng to BNC)

Welcome to the Morongo Basin Amateur Radio Club forum!

Moderator: KM6IAU

KM6IAU

SMA-Female to BNC-Female (Baofeng to BNC)

Post by KM6IAU » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Here is a collage of images detailing the SMA-F to BNC-F adapter. This adapter is low profile, so it sits flush to the radio, thereby reducing the likelihood of damage to the SMA jack if dropped. The obvious benefit to this adapter is swapping antennas out with ease. Now all of my antennas can be BNC male. If I get a HT with another type of antenna jack (Yaesu has SMA-F, for example), I add the appropriate adapter and now my existing antennas work with the new radio.
smaf-bncf_25.jpg
smaf-bncf_25.jpg (238.56 KiB) Viewed 59 times
Here is a look at a variety of antenna options:
bnc-male.jpg
bnc-male.jpg (146.86 KiB) Viewed 58 times

KM6MMP

Re: SMA-Female to BNC-Female (Baofeng to BNC)

Post by KM6MMP » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:21 am

Much appreciate the visuals!

That SMA to BNC adapter is exactly what I saw on Amazon, one sells for about $9 a pair, the other $6 a pair, not really sure if there is any significant difference. That looks like a very nice snug fit. I saw some online posts about using a rubber ring seal to make the adapter sit better on the radio. Is that even necessary on these Baofengs?

I am very much sold on the BNC adapter concept.

KM6IAU

Post by KM6IAU » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:49 pm

KM6MMP wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:21 am
That looks like a very nice snug fit. I saw some online posts about using a rubber ring seal to make the adapter sit better on the radio. Is that even necessary on these Baofengs?
I don't think the right-sized rubber ring would be bad... but have a look at some of the other alternatives, which are clearly bad:
smaf_ends.jpg
smaf_ends.jpg (236.37 KiB) Viewed 50 times
KM6MMP wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:21 am
I am very much sold on the BNC adapter concept.
As if you needed further convincing, here's the SMA-M version that I got for a Yaesu HT. It sits flush, but I don't currently have a Yaesu HT to picture it on.
sma-m_to_bnc-f.jpg
sma-m_to_bnc-f.jpg (213.79 KiB) Viewed 50 times

KM6MMP

Post by KM6MMP » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:47 am

bnctobncmale.jpg
bnctobncmale.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 40 times
This is what I mentioned. It could be a way to use the SMA female to BNC female adapter with an SMA female antenna, by installing that SMA male to BNC female adapter on the antenna. Might be a few adapters, but since it is for HT use, it is a way to prevent having to buy a brand new BNC male HT antenna.